After months of speculations and widespread anxiety amongst the students and teachers alike, the final verdict is out. A common entrance test that would take into account class XII scores is all set to replace the traditional IIT JEE and AIEEE from 2013.
The decision comes after a long-drawn battle between IIT senates and MHRD, with the IIT senates in strong opposition of inclusion of board scores.
The decision was made in a meeting of Joint Councils of IITs, NITs, IIITs and other centrally funded technical institutes. The meeting presided over by Mr. Kapil Sibal was conducted on May 28th.
a) One common entrance exam would replace the multiple entrance tests for admissions into various centrally funded technical institutes.
b) Pattern of the exam: The new JEE would be conducted in two parts-JEE Main and JEE Advanced. Both these exams would be conducted the same day.
JEE Main would consist of multiple choice objective questions, and the pattern of JEE advanced is at IITs’ discretion. IIT’s Joint Admission Board would make this decision.
1) For admission into NITs, IIITs and other centrally funded institutes: A merit list would be prepared based on the cumulative performance in boards (40% weightage), JEE Main (30% weightage) and JEE Advanced (30% weightage).
2) A screening process for admission into IITs: A screening process would be involved for admission into IITs. The cumulative scores for class XII and JEE Main would be used to shortlist the candidates. 50% weightage would be given to board scores and 50% to JEE Main.
50000 students would be short-listed based on these cumulative scores (of boards and JEE Main).
Though all the students would be allowed to take the JEE Advanced, the answer sheets of only these top 50000 (based on the JEE Main and Board scores) would be evaluated for admission into IITs.
The final merit list for IITs would be prepared based only on the candidates’ performance in JEE Advanced.
e) Administration of the exam: As stated earlier, IIT’s JAB (Joint Admission Board) would have full control over the JEE advanced (including paper setting, evaluation of answer sheets and preparation of merit list).
A properly constituted Joint Admission Board consisting of representations from NITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutes and Government would be formed to conduct the JEE Main.
Only the administration of the both the exams (JEE main and JEE Advanced) would be handled by CBSE.
f) 2012 board candidates can appear for boards again in 2013: The students who appeared for class XII exams in 2012 and are dissatisfied with their performance can appear for boards in 2013 again. Appropriate arrangements would be made for the same by CBSE and other boards. This move is to protect the 2012 batch of class XII from disadvantages of any sort.
Response of the pattern by State Educational Departments
The educational departments of Gujarat, Maharashtra and Haryana have already given their consent to use the proposed exam scores for admission into technical institutes run by their state governments. The institutes would have flexibility to decide the weightage they wish to give to each component (boards, JEE main and JEE advanced).
Kapil Sibal hopes more states would opt-in: “We are hopeful that many other state boards will come forward to adopt this. However, they will have flexibility in altering the weightage and other compositions.”
Mr. Sibal once again has made his motives for the new pattern clear: “The new system will be a dampener for coaching institutes. It will also reduce the mental and financial stress on students by preventing multiple entrance exams and reduce the discretion of engineering colleges and capitation fee.”
Only time will tell if the new pattern would actually manage to reduce the stress of students and mushrooming of coaching institutes, or worsen the situation. For now, the long-awaited verdict is out, making IIT JEE 2012 the last JEE of its kind.
For more JEE notifications, sign up here for FREE:
Let us know what you feel!
You may also like:
- No related posts found!
Share your thoughts with us!
Want regular updates on IIT JEE?
- Majority states approve the common entrance test: New JEE from 2013
- Common engineering entrance from 2013: Components of Kapil Sibal’s proposal
- Implementation of new common entrance test in 2013: IIT faculty concerned
- IIT JEE Coaching Industry: How would the Common Entrance test affect it?
- IIT Senates oppose common entrance test implementation from 2013
- ! Без рубрики (1)
- Essay (2)
- Essay writing (5)
- Essays (1)
- Foundation Course (13)
- IIT JEE AIEEE Study Material (337)
- IIT JEE and AIEEE Preparation Books (20)
- IIT JEE Chemistry (60)
- IIT JEE Coaching (11)
- IIT JEE Maths (117)
- Algebra (19)
- Calculus (39)
- Coordinate Geometry (28)
- Matrices and Determinants (7)
- Sets, Probability, Statistics (8)
- Trigonometry (11)
- Vectors and 3D Coordinate Geometry (6)
- IIT JEE Physics (176)
- Electricity and Magnetism (43)
- General Physics (5)
- General Properties of Matter (10)
- Mechanics (52)
- Modern Physics (19)
- Optics (18)
- SHM, Waves (9)
- Thermal Physics (19)
- IIT JEE Solutions (120)
- IIT papers (31)
- Interesting Facts of Physics (4)
- liss.ca (1)
- News (97)
- Online Coaching (324)
- Tips for IIT JEE Preparation (49)
- Uncategorized (12)
- Video Classes (339)
- Write my essay (1)